Search This Blog

Saturday, January 14, 2012

GPSIM - Working Again

Awhile back, I upgraded my OpenSuse Linux distribution to the latest ( 12.1 ).  I won't go into the utter disappointment that is Gnome 3.  I got most of what I needed working in short order, and I reverted to the Gnome "throwback" mode.  What I couldn't get working was gpsim.  It depends on gtk-extra, and it seemed to need the ancient 2.1.12 version.  Here's what I did to get gpsim working.  I ended up using gtk-extra-3.0.1.

Linux kernel: 3.1.0-1.2-default

get readline devel package.  I used version 6.
get and install gtk-extra-3.x.  I used gtk-extra-3.0.1
get latest gpsim from svn.  I'm using gpsim 0.26.99

alter the configure file:
Mine was around line 4880.
Any lines that reference gtkextra-2.0, change to gtkextra-3.0

Mine look like this when done:

if test "$use_gui" = "no"; then

  X_LDFLAGS=`$PKGCONFIG --libs glib-2.0 gthread-2.0 gmodule-2.0`
  X_CFLAGS=`$PKGCONFIG --cflags glib-2.0`
  Y_LDFLAGS=
  Y_CFLAGS=
else

  $PKGCONFIG --exists gtkextra-3.0
  if test $? != 0; then
    as_fn_error $? "Cannot find gtkextra-3.0 package" "$LINENO" 5
  fi

  X_LDFLAGS=`$PKGCONFIG --libs gtk+-2.0 gthread-2.0`
  X_CFLAGS=`$PKGCONFIG --cflags gtk+-2.0`
  Y_LDFLAGS=`$PKGCONFIG --libs gtkextra-3.0`
  Y_CFLAGS=`$PKGCONFIG --cflags gtkextra-3.0`
  GTK_VERSION_T=`$PKGCONFIG --modversion gtk+-2.0`
  echo linking with gtk-$GTK_VERSION_T
.
N.B. - Don't change the lines that reference gtk+.

execute:
$autoconf
$./configure
$make
$su
Password:
#make install

Now, for OpenSuse ( and other distros, I'm sure ), the default search path
does not look in /usr/local/lib.  So, I edited /etc/profile as root, adding
this line:
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}:/usr/local/lib"

Done!
Wasn't that easy?  It wasn't for me!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment