Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Hexapod

I saw that Pololu offers a board to control 16 servos.  It's just a Pic16f87x.  I thought: wow! I could do that.  I wrote a proof of concept on the 16f88 at 8MHz that can do it without "jitter."  Of course, the 16f88 can't handle 16 servos.  It only has 15 pins output max.  My code looks solid, though.  I can move 2 servos on any two pins without "jitter."  I wonder if it is better to bundle the control with the gaits in one 16f87x chip, or should I invest in a Texas Instruments TLC to control the PWM...

Right now, as I contemplate a hexapod,  I think I will use a 16f87x to handle the gaits and PWM in one.  That's one less chip.  The main controller should talk to it via SSP or I2C.  SSP looks simpler, but everyone seems to use I2C.  I haven't played with either yet, so I don't have an opinion.  I don't want to use serial, for I want to preserve that for programming/debugging/talking to the PC.

The rough idea now is to make the lightest hexapod possible.  I would like to use the cheap, $8.00 servos from Sparkfun.  I'm thinking about 4 lipo batteries in series for power.  I'll need a recharge solution for sure.  I think a PCB for the base and paperclips for the legs.  I'll need to work out how to hold it all together and how to attach the paperclips to the servos....  I really have to take the time to do the math on the strength of the servos.  How much weight is involved, and can the servos support it?

In short, Yay!  New problems to figure out!

No comments:

Post a Comment